Monday, April 22, 2013

Remembered conversation

"You understand that you will need to be in intensive rehabilitation sessions to regain your muscle mass, and that you may never walk again" my doctor stated slowly.

"I will heal, and I will regain the use of my leg.  I cannot afford rehab but I will build myself again."  I told my doctor defiantly, laying on my back with my leg raised above me.

"Ryan, you will need to be extra cautious.  This will take years to heal and you cannot rush your recovery." trying to instill some reality into my situation, my doctor looked straight into my eyes as he spoke.  "You are lucky to still have your leg as it is."

"No, I am lucky to have had a great surgeon,without whom I would not have my leg" I said, sitting up as far as I could so he could see the sincerity in my eyes as they started watering.  "I will use my leg again, and I will learn to walk again."  I said, promising to my doctor as much as to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment